Sunday, July 10, 2011

Parenting Across the Sea.

This picture is from Frenz crying over the scooter. 

I was on video chat with Rhoda and our kids this afternoon.  For some reason the microphone was not working again on their side.  Frenz was trying to talk to me.  But I couldn't hear him.  Although, he could hear me.   I could see Rhoda, then Larraine, and Frenz.  I just went along with the situation and acted like I could hear everyone even though the microphone was not working properly.  I could see Frenz talking on the microphone.  It was really frustrating not hearing them. 

Next thing I know  Frenz is crying and is visibly upset.  Rhoda starts typing on chat that Frenz was trying to tell me that his mommy and sister, Larraine, were telling him not to pull the microphone and that they're "fighting" him. 

I felt really bad at that moment.  Because my boy was asking for my help and I couldn't do anything.  I could only encourage him to stop crying and to smile.  He was in the wrong for pulling on the microphone.  But he doesn't understand that for his age.  After a few minutes of coaxing him to stop crying and smile, he did.  Later, he and Larraine ran outside to ride their bike and scooter as if nothing happened. 

Aiii adai, parenting from over 1000 miles away is not easy.  Rhoda is doing a great job raising the kids without me there.  I am hoping that I will be there in a couple of weeks. 

2 comments: