Thursday, July 21, 2011

67th Guahan Liberation

While majority of the island celebrated Guahan's 67th Liberation today down in Hagatna our capitol with marching units, floats, and lots of chaotic fun.  I chose to spend it down at the Guae Ranch this year.  Unfortunately not all the boyz were down there.  I met up with Primo James and his primo.  Tye came down later.  Although, I ran into him at the feed store earlier.  I guess the plan for a big barbecue that was talked about months ago fell through. 

However, I decided to make the best of it with my niece/goddaughter, Arissa.  When we got to the Kantit.  Primo Ted was nowhere to be found.  We did find the bbq grill smoking.  So I threw in more coconuts and wood to get it going again.  I took the fish I caught via Psychic Fishing and defrosted it in water.  While Arissa sat and read her book, I walked around to see what Ted's been doing. 

It looks like he's been busy farming again.  The last time I was at the kantit was a couple of months ago picking lemai.  The grass was not that well cut.  It was as tall as I was.  But Tye mentioned that he has been going down and cleaning up.  At the northern end of the kantit, Ted's contractors were busy digging out a huge hole on the opposite side of the goat pen.  They even have marshalled materials ready to build Ted's roof to his ranch house. 

Primo James showed up as I finished checking on the binadu in their pen.  We started talking about what has been going on with us.  He thought I had left to the Philippines.  Not until September, I replied.  We talked about various topics:  the reunification of the Marianas Islands, Liberation, War Reparations, and Free Association.  I admit, James, got me interested in Free Association.  I'm gonna research it more and compare it to Commonwealth/incorporated territory. 

We both agreed, if the USA can pay Billions of dollars in rent to the South Koreans, Japanese, Italian, and German governments for military bases in their countries.  I'm pretty sure they'll pay $6 Billion Dollars in rent per year for 3 military bases on Guahan.  Also, giving Billions in aide to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan.  why not Guahan?  There is a disparity here and were an American Territory. (will blog on this more later)

Anyway, after our talk, I cleaned the fish after they defrosted, added wood to the fire, had Arissa help me prep the fish, and then put it on the fire.  It was a nice quiet afternoon, enjoying the strong cool breeze coming off the Pacific Ocean. 



HAPPY 67TH LIBERATION GUAHAN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment