Thursday, April 14, 2011

Guahan's Self-Determination Plebiscite. (A Straw Poll)



Since Governor Calvo brought the Guam First Commission to meet for the first time a couple of days ago.  Guahan's Self-Determination Status was brought up. He stated at the meeting that he wants to have the Self-Determination Plebiscite by 2012.  I all for moving forward.  I however don't agree that only Chamorros should be able to vote.  The polls should be open to everyone who calls Guahan there home.  Our population is diverse.  Like the U.S. Mainland, Guahan or Guam whatever name you want to go by, we are the melting pot of Oceania. 

I am not only Chamorro.  I am also Filipino.  But, I do know I have Spanish, German, and Chinese blood running in my veins.  Yet, I understand both sides of the aisle.  WE could have two ballots at the voting polls to satisfy everyone's right to vote.  We could have the ballots color coded for both groups of people...one for Chamorros, and another for the rest of the Guamanians.  This way everyone has a voice. 

I will not support a Chamorro-only vote.  That will leave many of my family and friends without a voice.  How do you judge the blood percentage of a Chamorro resident?  How much percentage is required? 

1 comment: