Friday, April 16, 2010

Construction: Upcoming Promotion and need more tools.

It's been a fun and busy week for me.  Started off Monday working on a new project at work.  I was running electrical conduits and wiring for a house, in a warehouse.  I thought it was a new office for the company.  When I was not doing electrical work.  I was helping putting up metal studs and gypsum board.  Construction work is hard money.  But, I enjoy it.  I'm outdoors most of the time.  Well, except for this week.  I've been indoors. 

Throughout the week, I've been making a list of tools I need for work.  I have enough tools of my own.  But it would be great to get me one of those cordless power drills.  Those things are awesome and work pretty good.   My team leader has a pair and lets me use one.  I could not find my tool belt.  So it looks like I'll be buying a new one come payday.  It's tiring going up and down the ladder without having all the tools I need not strapped to me in some form or another.  I need a better toolbox that would be able to carry all my tools in it and be able to secure it while on the job site.  I'll acquire one of the empty 5 gallon buckets, we used today and yesterday for spackling,  to use as a carry tote for needed tools.  It'll keep my tools that I need organized.  In all, I'll need a large heavy duty construction type tool box, a 5-gallon tote carry, and a tool belt. 

I'll need more safety gear; dust/gas mask, knee pads, camelbak (for drinking water), better safety goggles (clear, smoke, and yellow), 

Yesterday, during an informal meeting, my boss asked me a couple of questions regarding leadership.  Will I be able to tell others what to do?  I don't know...I thought my resume spoke for me.  I mean...I did spend 8 years in the military as a non-commissioned officer telling subordinates what to do.  I owned my own business and trained my own employees.  Without any hesitation, I informed my boss that I am capable of handling more responsibilities.  So he told me that he'll be sending me to Safety Training and I'll be one of his new leaders and safety officers.  I don't know when the promotion takes effect.  I'm still enjoying the fact that I have some fixed income for my family and my ranch. 

1 comment: