Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Construction: Neverending Changes

Since I started working on this house project at work.  There have been so many changes.  It's so funny.  Now, it's a running joke between all the workers, working on the project.  Don't get me wrong.  I enjoy what I'm doing.  I work with a good crew.  And, we have fun. 

It's the boss/owner that is always changing the plans.  I've already lost count to the amount of changes we already did.  I, Just Do it! 

The door is one example of the numerous changes for this project.  First, the unit was to have it's own door.  Then the owner wanted the door at the top of the stairway.  Then it changed to the bottom of the stairway.  During break today, the guys were talking about it.  I mentioned, "Watch, before we know it, He'll (the boss) want the door right there by the roll up door".  Everyone laughed. 

I was told by my supervisor to work on another change today.  To remove the sides of the frame, where the door was supposed to be placed at the top of the stairway, and have it flushed to the top rail of the stairs.  I was trying to work the project assignment fast, to cut the frames before the boss came in the afternoon, and decides to change that project.  I even went to the tool room to check out the power jigsaw to cut the frames.  I was telling the tool room attendant to hurry up, so I can cut the frames before the boss changes his mind.  While I was upstairs prepping the jigsaw, securing the ladder, and plugging in the extension cord.  Just before I started to cut, the boss showsup.  And, wouldn't you know it.  After, I had already taken off the gypsum board and supporting braces to both sides of the door frame to get it flushed with the stairs.  The boss decides that the left side (facing up) was okay.  I was literally biting my tongue, not wanting to say anything.  As soon as he was downstairs in his office.  I started laughing.  Even my supervisor was laughing.  So I just cut the right side of the door frame.  Never changes with the changes. 


To make it fair.  The boss is okay.  He tries to find projects for us to work, so we can continue to get paid.  He does have barbeques for the boys every now and then.  It's just so funny with his changes.  I wouldn't be surprised if we started building a swimming pool inside the warehouse.  As long as I get paid, I'll work.

Work is great.  I'm always busy and moving around.  I was told that I'm being sent to school next month.  So I'll need to get a laptop for the classes.  The best part, The company is paying for it. 

2 comments: