Monday, April 26, 2010

Construction: Only Doing What We Were Told.

I don't know about you.  But I don't like to be blamed for something that I didn't do.  Or, had no control over the situation.  I really hate that. 

My boss lectured me and another co-worker over our "job performance" this morning.  Let me flash back to what happened last week.  Last Monday, we were told to start painting the rooms after we had sanded the dried spackel, on the walls.  Our Supervisor told us to keep sanding the rooms and when he gets back from another project.  He'll apply another coat of spackeling to the walls.  After the supervisor left, the boss (owner) tells the two of us that after we finish sanding to start painting.  We tried to tell him that we're not done sanding and that the supervisor will apply another coat of spackel to the wall joints.  But he didn't want to hear what we had to say.  It was start painting so they could move in this weekend. 

So that is what we did.  We painted.  Then, we went back and touched up the holes with spackel again.  Because it was easier to see them with the paint over the slight depressions.  That was last week.

Today, the boss called us upstairs to where we are working on the house.  He lectured us both regarding why he could still see holes and bumps on the walls.  We both kept our mouths shut.  "Why did we paint, if we are not done sanding?  Why so many bumps and holes?"   There was some mention about "Quality work" and about Preparation, Thinking, then working.  After the boss, left.  My partner and I just looked at each other.  Since he was there longer than me, I mentioned that he should have told the boss the truth.  That he was the one that told us to paint, even after we told him that we were not done yet. 

But everyone said, it's best to keep quiet and let it go in one ear and out the other.  Just take the heat, and do your job.  Don't risk not getting paid.  I feel bad for the guys who have to be put in that situation.  This is all they have. 

I am so thankful to God for giving me the opportunity to learn and know more valuable skills other than being an electrician. 


Keep Smiling

2 comments: