Saturday, April 10, 2010

Construction: First Days on the Job.

I started work at Ian Construction on Thursday morning  I was surprised when I got the message Wednesday night.  I thought it was an interview that I was going in for.  So I brought my tool box just in case they wanted me to put together an electrical switch or something.  But when I walked into the warehouse.  I was told that I was working that day.  I was stunned.  I was not dressed to go to the job site.  I was given a safety vest and hardhat.  Which belonged to another worker but was taken from him, because he was not going out to the job site that day.  I was introduced to all the guys that reported in for work that morning. 

I was assigned to go with the airport crew.  They were putting up a cyclone fence at a ponding basin at Triple B Forwarder's facility.  It was okay that morning.  It's a good thing I keep a spare t-shirt in the car, to be able to change out of the shirt I wore for the interview.  It was nice and sunny.  But it was HOT!  There was no shade, except for the hardhat that I was wearing.  It's a good thing I drank lots of water to keep hydrated. 

I should be used to working in the sun because of the ranching lifestyle.  But let me tell you, it's really different.  At the ranch, I can pace myself.  Although, I was told to just pace myself by one of the other guys there at the job site.  It was really different.  It was pace yourself until the next break.  Unlike the ranch, I work in spurts.  Then I take long breaks.  If it was not for the field work on the ranch and doing Crossfit the last couple of years and months respectably.  I would have never made it the first couple of hours with this new job. 

Anyway, I survived the first two days with the company.  I did get my hardhat today, safety vest, and steel toed safety shoes.  I'll have to look for my multimeter.  Now, I really need a truck.  Not just for the ranch, but also for work.  

I'm disappointed that I was not able to fund my new business venture today.  I had funding issues.  But I'll use my work income to fund the new business. 

Above all, I thank God for this opportunity. 


2 comments: