Thursday, February 4, 2010

Still Clearing Trees.

Been cutting more trees today on the South Side of the ranch.  Mainly trees that were uprooted from previous typhoons with exposed root systems but still growing, that I'm cutting down.  Also a local tree here called Pago.  I can't stand that tree.  It's like an octopus, gets into everything nearby, branch wise. 

I have to much shade in the ranch, according to the Ag experts.  I have to let the sun, solar rays, get to the ground to get the grass growing.  Which is why you'll hear my chainsaw buzzing every couple of days. 

The other day, I toppled two trees.  Today, I cut down two trees.  Then I cleaned up one of the felled trees that I cut a couple of weeks back.  I was letting it dry out to make cutting easier during the clean-up.  So whenever you come to the ranch and see debris from a felled tree laying around after I cut it down.  It's because it's drying.  It normally takes a week or two to dry them out.  Then I go back and cut firewood out of the big timbers.  The smaller branches, I stack on the hedgerow to make compost. 

I have 12 major trees to cut down on the North and South Side altogether in the next couple of weeks.  My plan is to try to cut down a tree or two every other day.  Trim the limbs, then let it dry out.  Then rotate to another tree and repeat the process.  Once all the trees are cut, then I go back to the first one, cut it into firewood, and the limbs I don't want or need.  I'll put on the hedgerow for compost. 

In between cuttings, I'll be planting.  My Cherry Tomatoes are looking really good.  One tree is already fruiting.  The Sweet Potatoes are doing great.  I'll add more compost to the final layer tomorrow.  The first tower will be ready to harvest in March/April.  My Bromeliad is doing great.  It has roots now.  I'll have to transfer it to a pot tomorrow as well.  I can't wait to eat it's fruit in two years.  In fact, I bought another one yesterday.  I'll cut it up, eat the fruit, and then place the crown in a vase filled with water.

Tomorrow, I want to prep the ground for planting 2-50 ft. rows of sweet potatoes.  I'll harvest some slips from the towers to transplant to the rows.   

No comments:

Post a Comment