Tuesday, February 9, 2010

No, Not Sick...Just a Sprain.

No, I have not been sick this past couple of days.  I sprained my left ankle trying to save my buckling (read my previous post).  It was an acute sprain, very painful.  Although, I could still stand, it was hard to do.  Walking was painful.  But if done slowly, I could get from point A to point B.  Walking up hill was hard, down hill was just plain tricky.  I did perform R.I.C.E.  Okay for you island locals, that doesn't mean I ate more rice.  I "performed" R.I.C.E.  That means Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation, a treatment for sprains/strains. 

Although, I have sprained both ankles numerous times.  It still hurts.  But I know the R.I.C.E. and therapy drills by heart.  I have experienced all the classifications of sprains, but not necessarily in order.  I have learned though that wearing any compressed bandage for to long a time will impede my recovery time.  My orthopedic and therapy docs at the Army Hospitals, now the VA, tell me it's better to do without the bandages and ankle braces. 

I am okay now.  My left ankle is still sore, but a lot better than this past weekend, and yesterday.  Haven't done any CrossFit since Saturday.  Feeling sluggish for not doing any workouts. 

So If you see me limping; Yes, I sprained it.  Yes, it hurts.  Yes, I've claimed my healing. 

Keep Smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment