Thursday, February 25, 2010

Burning Hot

Temperature was 81 degrees today.  The Weather Reports Partly Cloudy with scattered showers.  It was partly cloudy alright,  but no showers.  Breeze was coming out of the North, for some reason. 

It was normal ranch chores this morning.  Ranch chores are pretty much routine: fresh water, refill feeders, pasture goats, and do security checks.  The heat index was HOT.  Even with the clouds, it was still hot outside.  But strangely, I enjoyed it.

For lunch, I added some cherry tomatoes that I picked fresh from my tomato bushes, to my hamburger beef kadu.  They were nice, plump, and juicy.  No preservative, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers added or used.  All Organic.

After lunch, I continued cleaning the front yard.  I raked up a lot of the trimmings  and put them into piles.  I debated for about 30 seconds if I was going to burn the woodpile or move it to the compost.  I burned it in place.  It was to hot to move it.  I worked underneath the shade of my mango tree cleaning up the old debris from what we cut down two years ago.  Yeah, I procrastinated.  I eventually got around to doing it. 

I learned that the mango tree in the front yard, where I was working under, was flowering.  I'm glad.  Now both of my mango trees are gonna bear fruit. I'm gonna have two varieties of mangoes this season...Local and the other I call, taotaomona, (it's a hybrid tree).  I have three more trees.  One is a bonsai mango tree that my mom experimented with.  I'll have to take a picture of that.  Another one, is in the same area that I'm cleaning around, about twenty to thirty feet from the tree that is flowering.  I'll have to cut down some exotic palm trees that I don't like.  So that mango tree will have less competition.  I have one more on the North side, but that hasn't flowered yet.  I'll try smoking it (burning leaves underneath) tomorrow to get it to flower. 

I burned a lot this afternoon, lots of dead wood and that vine, that locals here call snake vine or Crown of Jesus.  I hate that vine, it chokes up everything.  It's suppose to be some type of herbal vine that helps with stomach aches or other ailments.  Let me tell you...it is nasty!  I even burned some taro that the wild pigs left behind on their rooting raids.  The heat from the fire, scorched nearby bushes and trees.  Oh, well...gotta have some collateral damage. 


Keep Smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment