Saturday, February 19, 2011

Safeties Helping Safeties.



This afternoon after class, I was entrenched in real good fellowship with some of my classmates in Field Safety.  Two of the ladies, Marlene and Edna were asking about the website for the safety certification.  I told them to check out Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP).  Out of curiosity I asked them if they were part of the Scholarship program with Guam Transportation Training Program (GTTP), which I am part of.  I was surprised that they were also clients of the program. 

I mentioned to them that OSHA 511 for General Industry course was last month and that the OSHA 510 Construction course was in two weeks.  For some reason, they were told that they could not attend the OSHA numbered courses until they finished the Core Curriculum with NCCER at the Trades Academy.  I told that wasn't true.  I am a product of going full force with the training program as a full time student.  It was GTTP that paid for my OSHA numbered courses and workshops.  Not to mention the Craft Instructor Course for the Trades Academy.  Yet, I was still taking my craft skills courses with the academy.  I will be done with Field Safety next weekend. 

We had an impromptu meeting in the parking lot outside of the Barrigada Facility.  I laid out exactly what I did since I started classes last October.  In fact, I blew my cover because I didn't want the instructor for my class to know that I am a fellow instructor.  I guess it's okay.  Oh well, can't cry over spilled milk.

Anyway,  I mentioned to the group of Safety Students.  That they have to see Lori or Debbie at the Trades Academy and Ann Marie at GCA, and get signed up for classes.  Don't wait for GTTP or they'll be waiting for a long time.  For some reason, there is a breakdown in communication between GCA Trades Academy and GTTP.  They have to do it on their own.  In fact, the two ladies said, they'll be at the main office on Tuesday morning.  I even gave them the time the main office opened, 0900 hrs. 

One of them said, that they can't take the OSHA Numbered Classes due to their work schedule. That's when I mentioned that they have to make a decision.  The OSHA 511, 510, 501, and 500 courses are only a week long and only come once, if not twice, a year.  That's also with the Army Corps of Engineers, EM 385-1-1/NAVFAC 40 course, which is more stringent than the OSHA courses. 

The group of classmates who I was talking to are already ahead of the other students in their Cycle (Cycle 2.  I'm with Cycle 3).  Yet, I am ahead of them.  Although, the courses are setup for the students when they are available to take the classes.  But I took it full force as a full time student. 

I understand that they work full-time jobs.  But, I've learned that when you want something bad enough.  You have to make the necessary sacrifices to help you get ahead.  Plus on that note,  I prayed and believed that God will help and guide me through the process. 

I told my classmates.  That, I am currently working on my Safety Company right now, getting the paperwork straight.  I am an instructor for the Trades Academy and an OSHA Outreach Instructor for General Industry.  I am also networking with the other Safety Officers from all the Safety Trainings and Workshops that I've attended.  I didn't tell them all that to bragg, but to show how serious I am about this career field.  I also mentioned exactly what the Safety Directors from different island companies told me.  That there are a lot of jobs out there for Safety Officers.  There are not many of us in our field to satisfy the demand. 

I thank God for His Blessing and Challenges that guided me through this course and still continue to guide me to achieve my goals.  It's all Him.  I just Listened. 


ESTA...



2 comments: