Saturday, May 15, 2010

Today's Lunch Special at Enzo's Outdoor Grill.

I baked up some pork chops today for lunch.  I gave it my special dry rub (combination of black pepper, season all, and Italian seasoning) .  I gave generous amounts of dry rub on both sides of each chop.  Placed the chops on a baking pan.  Preheated the oven to 350 degrees and set the timer for 45 minutes.  I then added fresh Cherry Tomatoes from my garden into the baking pan to give it a little color and that tarty zest flavor. 

While the pork chops were baking.  I cooked up some banana-cue without the skewers.  This is a traditional Filipino dish that my grandparents and parents used to cook for the children.  Then when I went to the Philippines in the late 70's and early '80's, I watched how the street vendors cooked bunches of cooking banana in huge woks along the streets of Santa Mesa, Manila; also outside the gates of UPLB, Laguna; and now, 2007-present, Cagayan De Oro City. 

Anyway, back to Enzo's banana cue.  I took some ripe bananas out of the refrigerator.  Ones that we had skinned earlier.  I took a small pot with oil and heated it up on high.  I placed several ripe bananas inside the pot and let cook until the underside turned a little light to dark brown.  Then I flipped it over.  When both sides of the banana are close to Golden Brown, I took it out and let it drip dry on a plate.  After I few minutes, I took each cooked banana and tossed it into my sugar/cinnamon mix bowl.  There, I would turn it over a couple of times until the whole banana was lightly covered in the sugary cinnamon mix.  Then I would place it in a medium serving bowl to let it cool.  It's so good, that I've kept going back to the kitchen to get a piece to eat as I write this blog to post. 

Please don't ask me for measurements.  I have not done any measurements, since ever since.  I primarily go by taste and smell. 

Enzo's Outdoor Grill is located on Matua Ranch, just off the BackRoad to AAFB, in Yigo, and caters currently to immediate family members and very close friends. 

1 comment: