Friday, May 7, 2010

Home-made Butter

Two days ago, I decided to try my hand at making home-made butter.  I had bought some cream at the grocery store about a week ago just for this venture.  The other day, I figured it was the best time to try this out. 

Youtube videos make it look really easy to make.  In actuality, it was a little hard to do at first.  But once I got the hang of it.  It seemed simple enough. 

I did the shaking in a bottle type of churning.  Another video showed that it's a lot faster if you use a beater.  I think I'll do the beater churning.  Then I'll opt for the shaking churning when there is a blackout. 

What I liked about this experiment.  I made more butter than I needed at a lesser cost.  It's a lot creamier and white, than I expected.  Mine doesn't have all the oils added to it, like the commercial butter that are sold in stores.  Also, I did not add salt to my butter.  It taste good, just the way it is. 

Cool new homesteading skill...


Keep Smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment