Monday, May 9, 2011

Home Depot Field Trip

Today, I took my Hand/Power Tools  --  GCA Trades class to Home Depot for a field trip.  We met a little after 0900 and did our admin stuff next to the food vendor outside, underneath the canopy.  All nine of my students showed up.  I'm glad to, because I thought one or two would have decided not to attend the Field Trip. 

Once inside we made our way to the Klein Tools display shelf.  This was for the electrician and HVAC students in the group.  We looked at the different lineman pliers, diagonal cutters, adjustable pliers, and electronic meters.  The prices were on the high end.  But I explained that is what you pay for in quality.  So you actually get what you pay for. 

At the hand tools section, the guys had an opportunity to look at the different and many kinds of laser levels, traditional levels, saws, hammers, chisels, etc.  They didn't realize how many different types of hand tools are out there in the market. I emphasized to buy American tools because of the warranty, quality, and durability.  Most of them were probably making their wish list for their particular skills, especially the carpenters. 

Some stated that the tools here are cheaper than from their island of Pohnpei.  I stated that was because of the shipping and handling. But since they are already here.  Invest in the tools here and ship it back home when you are ready to go back. 

It took us almost 2 and a half hours to hit all the hand tools.  I'm sure I missed some but Home Depot is a huge store.  On Wednesday, we go back to hit the Power tools side of our Field Trip. 


ESTA.

1 comment: