Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Eight Students surpass bad apple.

Today was the last class day for my CME group for Pohnpei island.  They'll be done with their Core classes in a couple of weeks.  8 out of 9 students passed my class.  I learned that the one student who didn't show up to take the Written and Performance Test is being sent home, a drug related case. 

What a disappointment.  I was hoping for a 100% passing and graduation rate.  However, I'm not going to let one person make the rest of the group of students look bad. 

These guys were very respectful and wanted to learn.  There are some with comprehension issues. But that can be overcome. 

During the performance test, I didn't just observe the students using the hand tools and power tools to perform the task for their test.  I observed how they interacted with each other.  These guys took the time to help each other pass.  They didn't have too.  I also didn't say they couldn't help each other.  But they did.  Those who were experienced with the circular saw and jigsaw...coached their peers on how to use it correctly.  I was supposed to show them first.  But decided not to.  I wanted to see if the experienced student will step up and show their peers.  And, they did.   

One student would have failed the power tools test because he wasn't wearing his safety glasses.  I observed and waited.  His classmate yelled for him to stop and signaled for him to put on his safety glasses.  I just smiled at the correction.  That student would have failed if his classmate didn't intervene. 

That's what we are teaching here at the GCA Trades Academy, Safety First; Safety over Production, Time, and Money. 

I'm proud of these students.  They wanted to learn.  They're here to learn a valuable skill.  I know I'll see them around the construction sites in the future.


ESTA...

1 comment: