Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cutting Firewood.

I finally cut up that felled Kaimito tree this afternoon.  I've been really busy with Safety Trainings and other things the last couple of weeks since it feel during that rain storm.  I also wanted to make sure it dried out completely before I cut to pieces. 

Yesterday, I was servicing my 14 inch Poulan Wood Shark Chainsaw.  Due to the pulling mechanism freezing up and the chain needs adjusting.  I did what I could and stored it on the side.  Today, I took out my brand new 18 inch Poulan Chainsaw.  I did the necessary servicing to start it up.  Tuned it a bit to let it run, just a bit rich.  Once it was humming nicely, I went to the backyard to cut up that felled tree. 

I didn't realize how heavy the 18 was compared to the 14.  My shoulders were burning.  But I got the job done.  After all the branches and trunk was cut to size.  I took my machete and started trimming up the cut branches.  Cleaning the excess small branches on them, the twigs. 

During the cutting, I noticed that the trunk was still wet and sappy.  It was no longer connected to the roots.  The trunk itself had completely broken off from the base of the trunk.  But it was still wet.  At least the sap didn't gum up my new chainsaw.  I'll have to bring that chainsaw into the house from inside my barn shack for security. 

I'm going to let the cut wood and let it dry out more for a couple more days.  Then I'll come back and cut them again to proper size for the bbq pit.  I

I was so engrossed in the activity.  That I lost track of time.  It was past 1800.  When I had complete finished the task at hand. 

1 comment: