Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's in a Name?

Yesterday, I went down to the Department of Revenue and Taxation to register my companies names:  Matua International, Matua Safety, and Matua Ranch.  Only to find out that I will not be able to because someone already incorporated a company called, Matua Corporation INC, back in 2004.  I asked the clerk how is that possible since my very first company is called Matua Consultants, and it's still recorded since 1996.  That should have held my preferred name in reserve for a long time.  Another company should not have been able to register any name using Matua, without my consent.  But I'm dealing with the Government of Guam. 

I didn't want to argue with the clerk.  So we brainstormed for a couple of minutes on how I can get around that issue.  One solution is to put another word in front of "Matua" to show a substantial difference between the two corporations.  Another option is to find new names for the companies I want to get started. 

Anyway, I spent the afternoon brainstorming on new names.  I did some slight modifications and total changes to the three names above.  I won't list them here until after I get them registered,   Proprietary reasons.  It's not easy coming up with good positive names for companies. 

I'll register the names tomorrow.  I need to turn in my business license to the Trades Academy this week, to start teaching this month. 



1 comment: