Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm Sorry. I Have my own Charities of Choice to Give.

Yesterday, while doing some errands.  An acquaintance and I started talking about the Tsunami that hit Japan last Friday.  The conversation turned to giving.  He asked if I gave or was giving to help those in need over there in Japan.  I bluntly answered, "No".  He was surprised.  He's a Christian attending another church on the island.  He knows I'm a Christian.  We had talked about our Faith during our trainings, a couple of times.  But, yet he was surprised. 

He started to ask deeper probing questions on why I didn't want to help the victims in Japan.  So I told him, "I'm sorry.  I have my own charities of choice to give".  I guess that didn't satisfy his curiosity. 

This is what I've told him:

"I'm happy for those who decided to help.  I am glad that they have stepped up to the plate.  However, I've been doing this for years.  Before I became a Christian.  I was giving to charity.  I donated blood up until the Gulf War.  After that I was not allowed to because of certain things that prohibit me from donating blood.  This event in Japan is not my calling.  If you or anyone wants to help, then do so.  

I am not one of those people who wait for a disaster to happen, then decides to help.  I've been helping, donating, training, and coordinating non-profit groups before any disaster happens."

I hope that clarified my position.  I shouldn't have to explain myself to anyone.  But I needed to defend those charities that I already help out.   


ESTA...

3 comments: