Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thingamajig Brooder.

I finally finished the temporary permanent chick brooder that I started a couple of days ago.  I used an old wooden table as my foundation piece.  It wasn't much.  The wood was still okay with some rot on various parts.  I just needed to build something temporarily for a couple of weeks so the abandoned chicks will have a fighting chance to feather out.  The nails I used were the wrong size -  2 inches to small.  But they held.  There were lots of short hard cloth around and 1/2" by 1/2" fencing laying around.  So I used those as the floor, sides, and front of the brooder.  For the back, I used an old 2'x8' wooden boy scout camp sign.  It fit perfectly.  For the roof was the traditional island galvanized tin that I acquired during the last typhoon,  still in great condition. 

The chicks are in there right now enjoying the bigger space than their card board box.  I could fit another 40 chicks easy in that big brooder.  I do have 40 new chicks running around in the ranch with their hens.   I'll have to catch them slowly and put them in the brooder until they feather out.  I'm glad my free range flock is growing again.  I'll have lots of kadun pika in the next couple of months.

If you're wondering what temporary permanent means.  It's exactly that.  It's a temporary structure for permanent use, until it falls apart.  Or, if I build a better one in the future.  Which ever comes first.  It'll probably get damaged during the next typhoon. 

Keep Smiling

1 comment: