Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ranch Log: Western Sare - Local Processed Feed Study.

It's official...Matua Ranch is now partnered with University of Guam Cooperative Extension Service and Department of Agriculture on the Western SARE Grant on "Pocessed Local Feeds".  My two goat kids, Alinnah and Hercules will be staying at the UOG/Department of Agriculture Breeding Station for the study. 

Dr. Manny, co-op extension, and Lito, manager for the breeding station, stopped by the ranch this morning.  I showed them the ranch and the goat herd.  I discovered from Dr. Manny that one of my does is pregnant, approximately 3 months.  I didn't even know that.  That surprised me.  So in two months Matua Ranch will have more additions. 

Although, I'm surprised and excited that another doe is pregnant.  I'm upset at myself for not keeping up with that doe.  I thought she was big from what she was eating.  I put to much focus on the lactating does and their kids.  It's a good thing, Dr. Manny came by. 

The feed process for the two kids involves breadfruit, taro, molasses, and urea.  From what was described to me, they will process the ingredients into feed and study the effects of the local feed on the two kids.  They'll study their monthly weight gain and body mass. 

I'm pretty sure it'll work.  I've been feeding breadfruit to my goats when it's in season.  And, they gain lots of weight, especially the former kids back then.  I have never fed taro to my goats.  I didn't even know you could feed taro to goats.  I knew you could feed it to pigs.  Something new, I learned today. 

I'll be visiting the breeding station once a week to check up on the kids.  Also, my mom wants to go see it.  So I might plan a trip next week. 

Dr. Manny even brought over a patch of Malato, Hawaiian pasture grass.  It's a great forage grass for livestock,  Up there with Guinea Grass.  I'll plant that today. 

2 comments: