Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ranch Dogs Kill Snake.

My ranch dogs, Stormie and Duchess, just killed a 4 feet long Brown Tree Snake on the North Side of the ranch.  They were barking earlier while I was in the shower.  So I pretty much ignored it.  I figured they were just barking at another feral chicken that was trying to get into the ranch. 

After I had showered and put on some fresh clothes.  I went to the back porch to call Duchess to knock it off.  She was late on my calls.  Normally, she comes running.  When she finally got to the back porch, I lectured her for being late.  She just gave me that funny tilted head look and was looking back behind her.  I knew she wanted me to follow her. 

I figured if it's not a feral chicken, it must be a snake.  I grabbed my .22 rifle and the crank up flashlight and went to check what they were barking at.  By the time, I got to Stormie's post, both dogs had stopped barking.  I cranked up the flashlight a bit, and there below Stormie was a thick 4+ feet long snake.  Both dogs had killed it.  I guess I walked in and disturbed their dinner.  Yeah, some of my dogs eat snake.  I looked at the tail and it was pointed, which meant it was a male.  A rounded tail means it's female.  That's the 5th large snake from the North Side of the ranch.  I'm glad my dogs are doing a pretty good job at their posts and on patrols.   

No comments:

Post a Comment