Monday, March 8, 2010

Ranch Log: Herd heading South.

Just read on the internet news...Turkey went through an earthquake, that leveled villages.  Makes me wonder...where next?

Anyway, today was a beautiful day.  Went to Post Net this morning to do some paperwork regarding my daughter, Larraine.  Then, I stopped by the university to check on Dr. Manny at CALS, but the whole campus was busy getting ready for Charter Day tomorrow.  I'll check back on him after things are settled down.  It's going to be busy there tomorrow. 

This afternoon, I relocated the goat herd on their pasture rotation.  Yep, we're heading south again.  I'm thinking of going further since we're low on grass.  It'll help clear up the South Side.  I did give Lighting, the herd sire, a 1 cc shot of dewormer, SQ on his right side above the ribs.  He had the scours this morning during my checks.   

Hercules, my buckling, is growing fast.  I gave him 8 oz of alfalfa pellets this afternoon.  He only munched a couple of pellets and went back to browsing.  He loves eating that sleeping grass on the rise.  I had to bring Iris over to finish up the pellets. 

Alinnah, the doeling, is still skittish.  She has started taking to the lead that I put on her, still tries to have it her way.  Her shiny black coat is turning chocolate brown.

I as working on the rabbit cages this afternoon. I got the nesting box ready for my rabbit who is ready to kindle any day now.  I pulled out some coconut husk fibers and put them in the nesting box.  She can arrange it to her needs.  I also put a half coconut husk into the bucks cage.  He seemed to like it a lot pulling on the fibers and eating it. 

Mom harvested about 2, 3-gallon, buckets of lemons, this afternoon.  I'll probably squeeze them later this week and bottle the juice.  I'll have lots of lemonade to drink this month, and to use for cooking and making finadeni.

Keep Smiling

1 comment: