Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Enzo's Weapons

These currently are my weapons of choice for hunting and protection.  I am a member of the National Rifle Association and a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment

My first weapon on top is a Saiga .410 Semi-Automatic Shotgun.  It is a smooth bore barrel as are most shotguns.  It is made in Russia and imported to the USA.  It comes with two magazines, but I got a deal with four.  I know, only three are shown.  I have used this hunting wild pig and deer at the bottom lands.  Like the Russian AK models, this weapon can get dirty and still fire.  I like the 410 because it's light weight.  The caliber is smaller than the 12, 10, or 20 gauge models.  Which means, I have to be dead on center of target before I pull the trigger.  There are only 4 Saiga 410 SG's on island being used for hunting. 

My second weapon in the middle is a Marlin .22 Rifle Model 795.  It is my primary hunting weapon.  I am very good with the iron sights, deadlier with the BSA Red Dot Scope,
when it's mounted.

I can shoot on the move, which is hard to do for some who have never done it.  It's a taught skill.  It's not really shooting while moving.  It's actually move, pause, shoot, move.   One of my platoon sergeants came from a Ranger Bat (75th Ranger Battalion) and taught my platoon that skill during my paratrooper days at Ft. Bragg.  I remember I hated the training because it was always done, slow and by the numbers.  I understood the reason for it.  But when we started going full speed.  It really looks like the guys are shooting on the move.  It happens so fast. 

I don't hunt to quell an itch.  I hunt to eat. 
I also use my Marlin to put down feral/stray dogs that come into the ranch and harass my livestock.  I can say that I have killed more feral/stray dogs than wild pigs/deer with the Marlin.  At least, I get some good training in, before the hunts. 

My third weapon at the bottom is a Springfield XD40 Semi-automatic Pistol.  It is made in Croatia and distributed in the USA by Springfield Armory.  This model uses .40 S&W ammunition.  It's very light and dependable.  It has 2 noticeable safeties and 2 more within the weapon itself.  I have already used this weapon in self-defense, over a year ago.  No, I didn't fire.  I did draw it and the other guy, from the outer islands, with a machete, backed off.  He was inside my ranch in the South Side.  I carry this weapon with me when I go to the bottom lands or the back ranch.  It is always within reach where ever I go.  If it's not on me.  It is very close by. 

A couple of accessories that I've shown are my Tasco binoculars.  It is very handy in the jungle.  To the right of that is my belt holster for the XD40.  Not shown are my double magazine holster for the XD40 and my red dot scope. 
 



The wild pig skull above is from a sow that I shot last year around July.  Duchess had moved in to bait one of the pigs to chase her, while I took aim.  This was an Alpha Sow because she chased Duchess while the other pigs stayed back.  I took a head shot on this one.  You could see the bullet entry hole above the right eye socket.  If you're looking for the right eye socket.  It's the only one in the picture, staring at you. 


The bigger skull is from a domestic boar that a friend was trying to kill with his 22 rifle.  I don't like animals suffering.  So after, the third shot that failed to put down the boar.  I used my 410 and shot it with a slug.  The boar dropped where it stood.  Sometimes, you need to have the right tools to get the job done properly without putting the animal into to much stress.  I didn't eat that pig because I knew the meat was already tainted.  One day, when I went back to this friend's ranch.  He gave me the skull.  So I now I have it. 


I'm not much into keeping trophies. 
I hunt to eat, not to gain trophies. 
But, I figured since I want my children to be hunters.  I'll have to start taking pictures and collecting trophies for them to see and learn. 


Keep Smiling


2 comments: