Friday, February 17, 2012

How much is a life worth?

I had a meeting with an OSHA official in regards to safety violations with a company that called me in, to help them.  For the last month, I've been helping --pro bono-- the new safety manager to get his company moving towards a positive safety culture.   So with today's meeting, we discussed safety violations that I've verbally recommended to the safety manager to correct, weeks ago.  As of to date, none have been corrected. 

The owner of this company wants me to come on board part-time, to help them out.  With what, I've seen in that construction company's yard, I'm not so sure that I want to work there.  Sure enough, the violations that I've seen first hand and relayed to the OSHA official is not just serious, but willful.  They know of the safety hazards but decided not to do anything about it. 

Safety violations that I've observed:

  • Exposed Electrical Wires  --  IDLH (Imminent Danger to Life and Health)
  • Smoking within 50 feet of a fuel tank --  IDLH
  • Welder not using welding screens and PPE  --  Serious
  • Unqualified Forklift Operators not wearing seatbelt -- IDLH
  • Unserviceable ladders 4 each  --  Serious

That's just a few of the serious ones, there are many more safety violations. 

It upsets me everytime I set foot on that compound to see all those safety violation not mitigated/abated..  The safety culture is non-existent in the yard.  Workers are not using the minimum required PPE. 

The safety culture has to start from the top down.  If the owner don't care.  The employees won't care.  And, the owner's goal is be at the same level as the two top construction companies on island.  He better start investing in safety. 

How much are Octogon box covers for the electrical boxes compared to a life? 
How much is a brand new ladder to a life?
How much is it to send an employee to get properly trained in Forklift Safety to a life?

Really sad state of affairs with this company. 

The OSHA Official's advice to me:  Have the Safety Manager invite him to do a courtesy inspection.  I will relay that message to the new Safety Manager. 


Keep Smiling




1 comment: