Thursday, October 27, 2011

NEW Guam VA Clinic...not up to Par.

When the Veterans on Guahan were told that we are getting a brand new Veteran's Clinic.  We were all ecstatic.  Since that new clinic opened up last year.  It's been a pain.  I thought service would be better.  My primary doctor and nurse are great!  But, the front desk staff...for a lack of a PC word...they suck! 

My primary doctor and I had a heart to heart during my last annual exam a week ago.  There are only two (2) doctors at the clinic to take care of more than 2000+ Veterans.  There is no pharmacists.  The nurse has to also work as the pharmacists.  During my appointment, my primary doctor was the only doctor in the facility.  What happens if she had to call in sick while the other doctor is gone?  Do they close the clinic for that day, week? 

Today, I went in to get my BP checked.  I had an appointment last Friday afternoon.  But I couldn't make it due to work.  I figured I could just walk-in like I normally do, to get my BP checked.  The Front Desk Clerk called my name and told me that I have to make a new appointment for the BP clinic and that walk-ins are now closed.  Instead of arguing with her...I decided to leave. 

Congress spent millions of dollars on this new VA Clinic and the service has not gotten better, but worse.  Make an appointment to get my BP checked?!  I'm a former Combat LIfesaver.  It does not take 5 minutes to pull my chart and put the cuff on my arm to get a reading.  There was only 1 other person in the waiting room besides me.  For the amount of time that it took for that clerk to talk to me about missed and rescheduling appointments, and that walk-ins are now closed.  I would have gotten my BP checked. 

I liked the old VA clinic at the Naval Hospital.  Service was better, everything is right there at the hospital.  Now we have to drive to other clinics for specialized care.  I didn't have to make an appointment for a BP Check.  I just walked in.  I didn't have to drive to more than one place to get my lab work done and go to other appointments.  Sometimes that grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. 

This new million dollar clinic is understaffed by medical professionals to treat over 2000 Veterans.


ESTA...

No comments:

Post a Comment