Saturday, October 1, 2011

Meeting my son for the first time.

Frenz and me in Butuan City, September 17, 2011.


I had just flown in from Manila on a connecting flight. It was just before noon.  The private car had passed the house because I didn't recognize the street.  I was looking for the vulcanizing shop that was in front and to the right of the house.  It was no longer there so we passed it.  Good thing I recognized the kitchenette on the corner and bakery across the street.  I asked the driver to turn around.  After stopping traffic for a few seconds, we finally parked in front of the gate leading to the house.  I got out as the driver took care of taking down my bags.  I tried to get into the house quietly through the gate.  But the screen door was locked.  My father-in-law saw me and yelled out, "Welcome home" and opened the door for me.  He went outside to help with the bags.  Behind him was my son, Frenz.  He looked at me and smiled, walked to the side of the door looking at his grandpa, and then turned to me. 

That's the first time Frenz and I met, face to face.  Yeah, he knew me from our video chats on webcam.  But this was the first time, he actually met me in person.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  I didn't want to rush him and pick him up.  I was happy to see my son and greeted him.

"Hi there Frenfren"! 
He smiled at me.

It didn't take him long to come right up to me as I sat on our wooden couch.  He allowed me to pick him up.  And I sat him on my right leg.  Frenz kept looking at my face, studying it. 

I asked him, "Asa si Larraine?".  (Where is Larraine?)

He looked out the window.  Then looked back at me and said, "Wala". 

Rhoda came out and saw him.  "Aiii, you're with daddy?!"

Frenz smiled and leaned closer to me. 

Rhoda had gone outside to pay the taxi driver earlier and came back into the house to see Frenz sitting on my lap. 

We had talked a couple of days earlier, agreeing for me not to rush the boy.  Let him get used to me.  Allow Frenz time to know me.  I guess that conversation flew out the window.  My boy was sitting on my lap, like he knew me for a long time.  I'm so glad that we video chatted when he was able to talk to me. 




2 comments: