Sunday, December 5, 2010

View from the Lens of my Camera -- Delta Cam.

I've been with the TV ministry going on two years, this coming March 2011.  I started out as the cameraman for Bravo Camera.  Now, we call that camera, Charlie.  I've been on Delta Camera for a long time, now.  I forget when I first started operating Delta cam months ago.  Being in the TV ministry is fun and challenging at the same time.  I really enjoy doing what I do during our Sunday regular morning service. 

It wasn't easy moving to Delta Cam.  My focus shots are not of the pastor or whoever is giving the sermon for the morning.  My focus is the audience.  I mainly get head shots, one or two shots, a group shot of three or more, and reaction shots.  Reaction shots are the hardest because I have to time my shots with the pastor's sermon.  Trying to catch people responding to his questions or jokes, or when the sermon gets powerful and people clap in response, and/or cheer with a chorus of Amen's or other suitable reply, is hard. 

What was the hardest part of operating Delta Cam is not getting the shots for my director to record.  But the physical part of actually standing up during the whole service.  In the beginning it was hard.  I had back spasms during the service as I operated the camera.  But, I had a job to perform for the ministry.  I wasn't doing this for myself.  We have to get the Word out through our ministry.  So as time went by, week by week, I grew stronger.  The pain was less to where it is no longer bothering me, now.  I prefer operating Delta Cam to any other camera in the studio (sanctuary). 

I have always wondered if the congregation actually realizes what I realistically see on my monitor.  A minority of the congregation look like goats or cows chewing away on their cud as they listen to the sermon.  Some are subtle in their movements.  While others want to make it known, maybe to me, that they're expressively chewing their gum.

Then there are those, for lack of a better term, who I call, the nodders.  It seems this small group stayed up late on Saturday nights and occasionally nod out during the sermon.  And only catch themselves, when they feel the jerk of their head falling forward.  The other tenacious group is what I call the sleepers.  There are not very many of them.  Maybe for the same reason as the nodders, this group stayed up a lot later than they should have on Saturday night.  It's not that hard for a nodder to become a sleeper. 

It used to be funny catching someone nodding out or sleeping.  I admit...I used to suppress my laughter many times when I would catch anyone through my lens, doing one or the other.  A couple of weeks ago, it stopped being funny.  It's hard getting a really good shot and framing it, and then to notice there is a sleeper behind my main subject of focus within my shot.  I would have to abort the shot and look for another one.  Can you imagine if that shot was recorded and aired on our ministry page on facebook?  I'm pretty sure the editor would catch it before it made it to final production.  But on the off chance a nodder or sleeper did slip into the final production teaser and then aired. 

I wonder if the pastor would allow me to mount an air-soft rifle to my camera to shoot the nodders, especially the sleepers, from falling asleep.  That would keep them from nodding out or sleeping. 

All in all, the rest of the congregation are alright, especially those who sit up front towards the pulpit.  It's only a small group towards the back and in the middle right that makes it challenging to get my proper frame for the shot. 

The way I see it, if I have to stand up during the whole service operating my camera.  At least, those in the audience who are sitting comfortably should stay awake and listen to the message the pastor is bringing forth in the Word of God.  Anything less is Tai Respetu,  not just to the pastor or whoever is speaking, but to God. 

1 comment: