Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Because I Can...

I don't understand my family here.  Not one of them wants to help with the ranch.  Which is fine by me.  Or, when they do try to help.  They do things that I don't like or want them to do.  There were promises of help that never happened.  It doesn't bother me. 

What bother's me is when I start selling my livestock, some members ask why?  Well, first off, they're my animals and I can do whatever I please with them.  Second, unless they have some type of financial and/or physical labor investment, they don't have much say. 

My wife and I decided that it's time for me to go back to school to better my career opportunities to support my family.  Starting in January 2011, I will not have time to take care of the goat herd.  Managing a ranch is labor intensive.  Most of my family will know that if they actually helped me with the ranch, but they don't. 

I realized that my study time is less than I should have allotted for it.  I noticed that last week while I was participating in the Organic Inspector Basic Course.  That course was similar to taking a full load of classes at the university.  It was very intense and demanding of my time. 

Going back to school will not be fair to my herd of goats.  They need to be moved twice a day if not more.  It will not be fair to me, compromising my studies.  With deep reflection, this is the better choice.  My animals will be taken cared of by ranchers that I know of.  When I do get back into it, in a year or so.  I'll know exactly where to buy breeding stock.  I still have my rabbits and Guinea Fowl to take care of on a small scale. 

I do have long term plans that I've discussed with Rhoda.  I have been networking with breeders in Hawaii concerning the Kiko and Boer Breeds of Meat Goat.  In a year or two, I'll have a whole new herd of meat goats to manage.  My primary ranch, in the back family property, will be open for operation.  Best of all, my family will be here from the Philippines to help me. 

There's a time for everything. 

ESTA...



4 comments: