Friday, December 10, 2010

Amazed...

I'm taking one of the last courses for my Core Subjects, which happens to be Construction Math.  It is really basic general math subject, Junior High School level type math.  Going through the material yesterday during class was nothing more than a refresher for me.  BUT, it amazed me how some of the students were having a hard time trying to figure the measurements of a ruler during the class exercise.  I was like, "Are you serious?". 

My grandfather taught me how to use the ruler when I was a young boy going to elementary school.  He was a really good carpenter and sheet metal worker.  I really didn't have a choice in the matter when he wanted me to cut something either a piece of wood or conduit for a house or ranch project that he was working on.  I had to know the exact length of what I was cutting. So he took the time to teach, not only me, but my cousins how to use the ruler. 

Converting metric is easy, as well as standard rule.  IMHO, I believe we (in the USA) should move to the metric system.  It so much easier.  Anyway, back to the subject at hand, using a ruler should not be that hard.  Especially in construction, wasting material because you measured it wrong is not an excuse. 

I really wonder what how the rest of the class will do when we move into angles and fractions next week. 


I really should test out. 

1 comment: