Monday, June 21, 2010

That's Gonna Leave a Scar.

Didn't realize that work started 0700 this morning.  got to the shop a little after 7.  Jeff told me that I just missed the crew heading up to Andersen Airforce Base.  So I left the shop and headed to base.  I got to the gate and didn't realize that the whole crew was waiting at the Pass and I.D. Office.  After I parked and went to the Supervisors to let them know that I'm there.  A few seconds later the boss drove up.  Talk about timing.  I went ahead and applied for my vehicle pass.  Then I drove straight to the job site, Andersen Elementary School. 

While waiting for the other workers to come in from the Pass and I.D. Office, one of the supervisors asked me if I knew how to operate the Boom LIft.  It's actually called Articulating Boom Lift.  With confidence I told him,  "Yes, I know how to operate it".  So that's what I did all day.  I actually had 1 prior experience operating that piece of equipment.  But he didn't need toknow that.  So I drove that thing out of the parking lot, practicing  operating the controls, and parked it next to the school building. 

Water blasting the side of the building and trying to operate that boom lift at the same time, is not easy.  The whole morning I asked for a partner to help me.  The supervisors' agreed that I could handle it.  Well, I did pretty good water blasting the gutter and side of the building by myself.  But it was slow.

After lunch, Trevor was assigned to help me.  I was glad.  We moved a lot faster with him water blasting and me operating the boom lift.  Now, after we had almost finished today's mission.  The supervisors realized we move a lot faster with a 3 man team.  Two on the lift, one water blasting, the other operating, and one below to move the water blaster and act as a spotter. 

Anyway, I had a little accident operating  the 4200 psi water blaster set on high.  While operating the boom lift.  I lost a good chunk of surface skin on the top of my left hand,.  When the nozzle hit me.  I'm glad it's not deep.  I could have lost my hand or fingers.  It's my fault.  I wasn't wearing gloves prior to the accident.  Stupid move on my part.   I got tangled up with the hose and my life line.  I was trying to untangle myself without shutting off the wand.  Stupid, Stupid Move.  That's gonna leave a scar. 

Be Safe! 

Keep Smiling 


1 comment: