Friday, March 2, 2012

Leading Horses to water.

It's funny to hear people tell me that I'm making the big bucks as a safety consultant.  "You're raking in the money!", they claim.   That's a lot further from the truth.  I wish I was, but I am not.  One day by God's grace, I will. 

This week, I spent my time helping my neighbor Greg, get his house ready to put on the rental market.  There is a lot of work to do.  One day at a time, we're getting the priorities done.

The last two days, I've been following up on potential clients in regards to safety trainings/consultations.  It's amazing how all of them think alike.  The thing is, I can lead a horse to water, but I can't force it to drink.  I gave these companies, the owners or safety managers, the information they needed to bring their safety culture up to the next level. AND, I gave those information pro bono.  If they were dealing with any of my other safety colleagues, they'll be charged for their time and information.  These companies that I am approaching are not strangers.  They are friends and relatives.   I'm sharing information because I care about each one of them and their employees.  They don't have to hire me, but take the information that I freely gave to you and put it to use. 

It's the same lame excuses:
  • We don't have time.
  • We're too busy with our projects.
  • Safety costs too much. 
  • Our profit margin will be smaller if we do safety.
  • We'll call you when we do actually need you.

I hear that from managers/owners who come into my safety training courses trying to justify their reasons not to do safety.  They only came in because NAVFAC Safety forced them to as part of the requirement to bid on military contracts. 

"How much are you willing to pay for a life?", that is my question to each one of them.  How much are you willing to pay for a life of an employee who dies in your job site?  Is it worth the OSHA citation?  It's amazing when I hear an owner tells his lawyer to go ahead and pay the OSHA fine.  You're willing to pay the OSHA fine but not buy proper PPE or Safety equipment to keep your employees safe.  Something is wrong there.  I should know because I used to work for that company as an electrician. 

The bottom line is what these companies are focusing on.  It will always be about the money.  The thing is, there is nothing wrong with that.  But with proper planning and wise investments in safety, they can make more profit with a positive safety culture. 

I know of a stateside company, that is now on Guahan, who was awarded a huge military contract.  Yet, they did not have a Safety Plan in place.  They, the prime contractor, asked the subcon (subcontractor) to write the safety plan for them.  Something is really wrong with that picture. 

What is the costs of basic PPE per employee: hardhat, reflective vest, safety glasses, gloves, and ear plugs?  Average costs on island is about $200.  There was a company here that was fined $32,000 for not providing their employees proper PPE.  How many PPE can you buy for $32,000?  Alot, about 15 sets! This is just one of many examples that I use in my safety trainings. 

Here is my prediction for the five companies that I have been visiting.  They will call me or another safety consultant when one or combination of the following will happen. 

  • NAVFAC will require some type of safety training credentials that they have to produce.
  • They will get cited by OSHA or NAVFAC for a serious or IDLH safety violation.
  • They have a serious injury on the job site. 
  • They just had a serious safety incident.
  • They have a death in the job site.  (I don't wish this on any company but this happens when there is no safety program in place, or it's not enforced.)

It's time to move on to other companies.  I've dealt with these companies for more than two months.  After this week, should they call me again.  I will send them my consultation contract for consulting services.  Once, they sign it.  I'll help them out, then I'll invoice them for services rendered. 

I got a call yesterday from a new company.  Let's see what comes of this. 


Keep Smiling






 

2 comments: