Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Winter Solstice On A Tropical Island.

A lot of my online farmer/rancher/homesteader friends in the US Mainland are observing Winter Solstice, today.  Not a big celebration, just an observance to acknowledge that special day has come.  For some who don't know, there are two Winter Solstice in a year.  One today for the Northern Hemisphere. The other already happened between June 20-23, in the Southern Hemisphere. 

On the group lists that I'm subscribed to, one said, she'll have a special dinner for her family, another stated that he'll light a candle, while another said, she'll just relax with anticipation that Winter is half way over.  Some people don't understand the reason for agrarians to celebrate this annual celebration.  For them, after today, the days start to get longer.  It's a tangible point in time for them that Spring is around the corner, and the planting season will start in a couple of weeks/months. 

I never looked at it that way.  I've always thought that the day, Winter Solstice, was somehow linked to witchcraft.  Ignorance on my part.  I started thinking...what does that day mean to me as a rancher on an island in the tropical zone?  I guess a couple of things:  Typhoon season is almost over;  The dry season will start in a couple of weeks;  Christmas is only days away; Another reason to barbecue!!!

Learned something new today.

Keep Smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment