Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ranching Projects and Workshops

I went hunting this morning to my usual spot in the South Area of the ranch.  I knew the drove of pigs were on the other side of the rocks.  I could hear them rooting around from where I was at.  In a few minutes, they'll make their way around the big boulder to my side.  So I sat at the base of a tall tree, stretched my legs out with my rifle on my lap.  Just then, for some reason, that God only knows, Duchess, my dog, starts barking in the direction of the pigs. 

I don't know how to describe how livid I wanted to get at that very moment.  The safety was off my weapon.  I was just glaring at my dog for what she had done.  Any second now, the butt of my weapon would be secured on my shoulder, and my sights would be on Duchess's head.  Mind you, I'm out of the nice little itty bitty pink meds from the VA clinic that keeps me calm from my PTSD issues.  By God's Grace, I didn't do anything to Duchess.  I just got up, told her to let's go, then we just patrolled my hunting trail to the family's big property in the back. 

We spent 3 hours on the trail, cutting back all the growth.  That's the problem with the rainy season, everything in there just grows so fast.  I need to make it a point to police the trail once a week, during the rainy season. 

When I got back from the policing the trail.  My aunt at the store called and talked to my mom about cutting down some trees along their fence line because the leaves were falling over into their side.  My mom asked me, I said it was okay, as long as it wasn't my banana trees.  I got really upset at that last incident.  I guess it worked posting it on my blog what happened.  Now they're calling. 

Anyway, I'm told later that my aunt is hiring someone to cut down the three trees.  My first thought was, why.  What's wrong with my cousins?  Then I was told the price.  I replied that I'd do it for even for 1/3 of what the other guy is asking.  When I thought more about it.  I realized that those guys who are coming to cut the trees are going to be on my ranch.  That sent alarm bells ringing inside my head.  The last thing I want is for someone to come onto my ranch to cut down some trees.   Then if something should end up missing.  I'd be highly upset at that.  So I decided to cut down those trees myself. 

My mom is so funny.  She went and told her sister, my aunt that I cut down those trees.  When she came back, while I was switching my dogs on their tie outs.  She was going to give me the money, 1/3 of what I said I would do it for.  I told my mom that I don't need it and for her to keep it.  I just shook my head at that. 
The thing is.  I would have done it for free.  All they had to do is ask. 

This evening I went to the Farmer's Workshop at the university.  The topic tonight is "Guam's Labor Laws for Farmers".  It was informative.  Not that I plan to use the information anytime soon.  I don't have that big of an operation like three of the big farms that were represented there tonight.  Not yet, anyway, that is.  I met Tommy Tanaka for the first time.  I've known of him for awhile now.  While we were waiting for the workshop to start, we introduced ourselves and talked about our ranches.  He's a rancher like myself.  Tommy brought in the Boer Goats years ago.  I met up with Gordon and Beverly Ibanez, haven't seen them since I worked for the Yigo Mayor's office.  Talked with Beverly Ibanez about her fruit jams, especially the Soursop Jam and other jams that she used to make at her fruit tree farm in Yigo.  She's going to making her jams again.  They sell the popular Crocs in Tamuning.   Tom Blas was there, a former client of mine.  He and his wife Marianne own a plant nursery in Yigo.  Ernie Wusstig, Bernard Watson, and Jesse Bamba was there as well.  For some reason, Ernie loves to ask lots of questions.  Most of the attendees are farmers.  I met up with former senator Joanne Brown.  She currently works at Department of Agriculture. 

The workshop touched on issues like, "Are you an Employer, Classification of Workers, Fair Labor Standards Act-Guam/US-Federal, Records Keeping, and Recommendations for Farmers".  I had fun at the workshop, met lots of new people getting into Farming/Ranching.  They're doing it, not because the economy is slow, but to grow organically nutritious foods. 

As the workshop closed, the presenters invited all the farmers/ranchers to use the Small Business Development Center at the College of Business.  I've been a client there since 1995.  Farming is a business, so the farmers should use the center to get their records done and other farming business needs.  I still use it when I'm in that area or when my computer system goes down. 


2 comments: