Monday, June 25, 2012

Apprenticeship and Goals: Making that roadmap to succeed.

This evening, I deviated from the course material in Basic Rigging to talk to my class about goals.  A lot of them were never taught on how to plan their goals.  How to make a road map to succeed in their careers.  So I took the time to show them. 

First off topic I hit tonight was the Apprenticeship Program.  Like most in my class, I was misinformed and I parroted the misinformation to others.  I once believed that attending classes at GCA Trades Academy meant that they were apprentices.  I held that belief for a long time, until last Thursday.  I prepping for my Basic Safety Class (T/TH) in the conference room.  Then our Education Director comes in with one of my colleagues and starts showing him the Apprenticeship Program model.  I learned a lot of what an Apprentice is and is not. 

An apprentice has to be hired by an employer and registered with a sponsor, enrolled in a school program, and learning skills from OJT's.  All the classes that my students are learning at the academy will help them as they complete each level of their Related Crafts Instruction.  Although, it sounded complicated it really was not. 

An apprentice has to be employed and then enrolled in a school.  Once the apprentice graduates from the program.  It does not stop there.  They now have to study to take their Journeyman's exam to get certified in their chosen field. 

I basically showed my students that steps they need to become an apprentice. 

Then I worked with some on how to make a road map to succeed in their chosen trade.  For those students who have chosed the safety field.  I sat down with them and showed them exactly what safety classes they need to take in and in what order. 

There is so much misinformation floating around out there.  My students needed to know the truth. 



ESTA



2 comments: