Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Stance on the Military Buildup.

Some people and groups are confused by my recent posting here regarding the military buildup.  It hasn't changed.  I have always been in support of the military buildup inside the fence line.  I don't support any land condemnation for any future military facility.  The U.S. military has enough land to conduct all it's operations in a safe manner.  If live fire within a firing range can be done with limitations with various posts in Germany, I am sure it can also be done here. 

If a private landowner wants to lease their private property to the U.S. military.  They have every right to do so.  I am a firm believer in Capitalism.  However, I do want all zoning laws to be followed and enforced within the boundaries of that lease agreement, and territorial law.  If a private landowner wants to sell their property to the U.S. military.  By all means, they can sell their property. 

I don't appreciate independence activists groups implying that I have jumped on their bandwagon.  I have not jumped on that wagon.  I did not state that I will blindly support the buildup.  There are sensitive property rights issues that still have to be addressed and not swept under the rug. 

I don't agree with the territorial government leasing local public land to the U.S. military when so many of our native people have been waiting in line to lease residential and agriculture land.  I don't agree with any land condemnation for the Federal Government to take land for the U.S. military.  They took enough land without due process back in World War II and have not yet returned most of it to the original landowners.

I don't like people of a certain group calling me that I am unpatriotic or anti-military.  I am a second generation veteran.  I have served my country Honorably in War and Peace.  I continue to serve my country and island, by teaching youths to be outstanding citizens through character building. 

There are some who want a total no buildup stance.  Then there are those who support this buildup blindly.  Both groups are wrong.  There has to be a middle road for everyone to work within.  Where the military can build it's facilities without jeopardizing the property rights of the private landowner.  

2 comments: