Wednesday, July 20, 2016

On The Same Page.

Since leaving the hospital almost 3 months ago, I've been busy mentally.  It is really different trying to think up things to do to keep myself busy within the parameters setup by the cardiology staff at the hospital.  Talk about challenges to try to do things easier and better.

Since I've been out.  There are a lot of questions to what happened.  I had a cardiac arrest.  No, it was not because I am obese.  Yeah, I like certain foods.  So what.  Weeks earlier, I had just passed my annual physical evaluation with the VA Clinic.

Just to clarify, so that we're all on the same page.  I had received an electrical shock while troubleshooting a water heater that had shorted out due to rainwater seeping into the electronic control system.  Being an electrician since I was in high school.  Getting a shock was part of the job.  

I've been bitten by, "Sparky" so many times.  Yes, I gave electricity a pet name.  It keeps me focused when I work with Sparky.  And yes, I do talk to Sparky when I am working energized.  

However, that evening, I was barefooted, and the back porch was wet.  When I went to shut off the disconnect switch to the water heater.  Because it wasn't working correctly.  It wasn't that big of a jolt.  But it was a 220 VAC and Sparky did bite me for a couple of seconds.

The next day, I felt like I was coming down with the flu.  I thought nothing of it.  Actually, the flu was going around back then.  The next couple of days, I started feeling weaker.  Breathing was getting harder...but I kept pushing on.  Then the bloating started.  But it wasn't bad, yet.  I went to the clinic and got treated for asthma and flu symptoms.  

Things just went downhill slowly...then rapidly.  I started getting sleepy when I was driving.  The toro pulled me off my feet when I tried to move him to his new grazing area.  I woke up hours later still in the Back Ranch when it started raining.  I bloated up soon after, so bad, I couldn't wear my boots or fit into my clothes.  My legs started sweating profusely.  That weekend I started coughing up fluids.  

On Tuesday April 5th, I went into the Emergency Room at Guam Regional Medical Center complaining of chest pains and breathing difficulty.  ER doc asked how long was I feeling like this.  I told him...3 weeks.  I got lectured by the doc for not coming in sooner. I was told I had a cardiac attack and acute pneumonia.
 
I was treated and admitted.  First  thing was to get rid of the water retention.  That was my first introduction to the foley catheter  (hate that thing!).  Received morphine (really good drug!).  

Spent a couple of days in ER waiting for a bed to get vacant.  At least, I was not in the hallway at the other hospital.  Day 4, I was taken to the 4th floor, Room 448.  Really nice room.  Staff was really nice in both departments.  Woke up to a nice view.
 
The next week was routine, day and night.  Since my pulse rate dropped to below 100 bpm, I was discharged on Saturday April 16th.  My return home was short-lived due to missed meds.  And, I returned the very next day, on Sunday, due to another heart attack.  Many of the doctors were surprised that I was even discharged due to my heart condition.  

I was back on the pills again and reintroduced to the foley (still hate that thing!).  Stayed in ER for 4 days, went up to the 4th floor again.  This time to Room 444.  Told doc I wasn't leaving until I'm 100%  better.  

Went through the Cardioversion the next Friday.  Woke up during the procedure only to get knocked out again.  Woke up again during recovery.  The rest of the day, and Saturday, I was just out of it.  I didn't want to eat, missed all my meals...didn't drink water.  I just wanted to sleep.  But all the sticking and probing just irritated me.

I was discharged the next day on Sunday April 24th feeling a lot better.  First place to visit was Ben and Yan's Filipino Restaurant in Harmon.  I was craving for Seafood Paella, Lechon Kawali, and Pinakbet.  I also drank lots of water.   Yes, I'm aguaguat, that way. 

You guys got it. 


ESTA...Keep Smiling :)  



Note:  I wrote this in June.  Sorry, only getting around to it now to edit and publish. 







No comments:

Post a Comment