Saturday, December 1, 2012

Miscommunication Caused Safety Discrepancy.

Friday was my biggest challenge for the week, as a SSHO.  When I got to the job site that morning.  I learned that one set of damaged electrical wires, that was not repaired, was buried.  I went from positive outlook to livid in seconds.  I tried so hard to hide my anger.  Hopefully, the guys wouldn't notice.  I couldn't believe that someone would literally order hiding damaged electrical power lines.  

I had to  "Take "5" a couple of times.  "Take 5" is a program that I adopted as a safety precaution for myself to follow.  I'm slowly implementing it with my crews.  When a safety issue happens.  The worker "Takes 5".  "Take 5" is moving 5 feet back, and analyze the issue for 5 minutes.  When you find a solution, you return to finish the job task.  If not, then you "Take 5 again.  Move 5 feet back, and another 5 minutes to analyze.  So I took, maybe, 6 "Take 5's"

During that time, I worked to calm myself down.  I had to move into my Accident Investigative mode.  Ask Questions, Analyze what happened, and make the proper changes and recommendations, so that it never happens again.  

So I asked the questions.  I learned that an operator was told to bury the wires.  I found out a supervisor told him to do it.  Also learned that it was the subprime super who did that.  Then I went to talk to the super.  he said, yes, he told the operator.  But he was told by their subcontractor to remove the forms, so they can back fill.  He assumed that the wires were repaired.  

When the hole was covered with the wires underneath...everyone from the operator, foreman, supers all thought that the wires were repaired.  Nobody confirmed with me or the QC about that matter.  They all thought wrong.  

Root Cause.  After following the dots, in my opinion, this safety discrepancy was due to miscommunication by all parties.  

My Recommendation.  A Safety Huddle should take place prior to any job started on the site, on a daily basis.  The huddle informs the workers what we did already, and where we are going.  It tells of logistics needs for the day, and safety issues we may face and need to keep an eye out for.   

No comments:

Post a Comment