Sunday, September 9, 2012

Project HATSA Cycle 1 and 2 Graduation Ceremony

Yesterday, I attended the graduation ceremony of the students who were part of the Project HATSA Program from our local community college here on the island. It was great to see my students from Cycles 1 and 2 again. The ladies all looked stunning and the guys were just as spiffy.

As I walked around the banquet hall shaking each of their hands or greeting each one of them. I remembered my first day with each of the cycles. Cycle 1 students had that cautious frustrating eye about them. They seemed guarded. Cycle 2, were all young at heart, unsure of themselves but ready to try anything. Hearing both of the their stories of their past, their struggles, and overcoming challenges. All I could do was to edify and encourage them. Both cycles have come a long way.

I greeted colleagues who have implemented or supported the program from the Department of Public Health or the college. It was great to meet the people behind the scenes.

As the ceremony started, both cycles lined up outside the doors to the banquet hall. As pomp and circumstance began to play, the students marched into the room, turned at the stage and faced the audiences. After they took their seats, we listened to lots of speeches that morning. I particularly liked the speeches from the Acting Governor, Lt. Governor Ray Tenorio, and from the 3 students: Sarah, Heather, and Paula.

These students earned 17 college credits that they can use for whatever degree that is being offered at the community college. That's a lot for a short period of time. The also earned their Construction Technician Certificate and safety certificates for Flagger safety, EM 385-1-1;16 hour safety course, and forklift safety. They earned a lot of credentials that day. I'm happy for each one of them.

The Project HATSA Program from the Department of Public Health and taught at the community college is a really good program for women making a career change. The program coordinators need to make it great by getting rid of one toxic element. I'm hoping to see all my former HATSA students at the GCA Trades Academy soon. ESTA...

No comments:

Post a Comment