Saturday, April 28, 2012

Ranch: Discovered ranch dog, Scout aka Brownie is deaf.



Since moving Scout a couple of weeks ago to his new perimeter post from his old run line.  I felt that something was not right with him.  I just brushed it off as stress from the heat.  Each day, since moving him, I would normally call out to him before approaching his post.  He never came out of his dog house.  Weird...normally he'll coming running and challenging the integrity of his lead.  I brushed it off as stress again.  Thinking that he was not happy being relocated to his new perimeter post. 

Today, I finally realized after I kept calling to him, whistling, calling his name.  And then walking right in front of his house, he came out when he saw me.  I knew right then...he's deaf. 

I was hoping to train him into a hunting dog, like his dam, Duchess.  Now, just thinking about it.  I never heard him barking on the South Side.  I figured he had that area under control.  No wonder that Dinga Tres, Toron Binadu (6 point deer buck) got past him.  Scout never heard him.  It all makes sense now.  The only time Scout would actually bark, is when he probably sees anything that's not supposed to be in his or close to his area. 

Rissa informed me this evening during dinner.  That Scout was recovering from choking a couple of weeks ago when he was still on the runner.  I remember someone had rerouted his lead in between the cable run.  So he won't run back and forth on his runner.  He probably got his lead chain twisted it up that caused a choking hazard.  That explains the collar rash around his neck.  It was severe.  Again, I thought it was the flies that caused the collar rash, similar to what the flies do to the goats.  They lay their eggs on the goats...causing a maggot infestation.  I thought the same thing happened to Scout. 

Now everything makes sense on why Scout is now deaf.  Someone rerouted his chain lead, that caused him to choke on his collar from the twisting and then severe chaffing into his neck.  I know who did it.  Everytime that person does something on the ranch to make convenient for them.  I have to change it back to what I want.  I'm going to fence off the ranch from the house and keep them out. 

I have to decide what I am going to do with a deaf ranch dog. 

1 comment: