Monday, August 24, 2009

It's Supposed to Hurt!

It's been a month since I started doing the CrossFit Workouts.  I've been a traditional body builder during my time in the military.  It wasn't until my tour of duty in Germany.  That I started doing circuit training.  Since, I've left the military many years ago.  I have been on a roller coaster weight loss/gain experience, mostly on the gain.  It has not been easy.  I've been looking for a workout program that will peak my interest. 

Until last month, a friend of mine, Maressa, introduced me to CrossFit.  I was looking for a new type of training to get me past my plateau.  I thought the I could breeze through the Workouts of the Day (WOD), even though I was not in top shape.  I believed that my ranch workout would help me out.  Was I ever wrong. 

My first WOD killed me.  I could not even do 3 rounds of the 15 that was required.  I was sore, but I was not in pain.  I don't know if that makes sense.  I had not reached my normal pain stage when I over do a workout.  My first week, I was just using my body weight.  And, only working out 3x a week for the first couple of weeks.  I took lots of breaks between the exercises.  It felt good.  I'm now working out 4x a week. 

Best thing about CrossFit, you can scale it to your needs.  For example if the exercise calls for max jerks, you can scale it down to half or where ever you're comfortable to lift the weight.  I've been doing lots of scaling.  I've also subbed some exercises that I know I can't do yet.  One exercise that I know I can't do yet is Hand Stand Push Ups.  I'm not at that level of proficiency yet.  So, I sub the exercise for Push Ups or Elevated Push Ups.  One day, I'll be able to do HSPU's.

I've noticed that since I started doing CrossFit.  I'm more energized.  I'm able to do more ranch work than before.  I take less breaks.  I'm working longer hours.  I'm able to finish lots of my projects.  I have lost 10 pounds since I started this program.  I'm hoping that I lose more.  I'm eating better than before and I'm getting the required 8 hours sleep that I need. 

CrossFit is an awesome program.  It's similar to the circuit training that I used to do in Germany with my martial arts training.  I'm really impressed with the results.  I enjoy doing the WOD's.  This is one program that I'm going to stick to. 

My title above is from CrossFit Havoc located in Oklahoma.

KEEP SMILING

1 comment: