Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cockfighting USA

Yesterday, a Califonia Cocker,  from La Fuente, made allegations on a previous post of mine, which is now set to "contacts only", after I made my counter reply back to him.  He alleged that my pitbull, Pepsi, has inadequate shelter, is lonely and abused, based on an old picture.  Unfortunately, that's the only picture that I have of Pepsi. 

Pepsi's history is that she was house raised by a relative.  For some reason she contracted a really bad skin rash that looked a lot like mange.  She was left outside and forgotten.  Yes, she was fed and given water.  But that was the extent, of her care.  She was no longer walked, petted, or allowed back into their house.  When a new pitbull puppy was brought in.  My relative's plan was to get rid of Pepsi. 

I intervened because I needed another guard dog.  I gave her a chance and invested lots of money into her vet care.  Within a year, her skin rash was gone and her beautiful black fur came back.  It was hard taking care of her.  I had to break her bad habits and establish good habits.  I taught her how to sit, come, and stay.  The basic commands that every ranch dog should now.  Other than that, she is free to think for herself.  She is a capable guard dog and guards her assigned posts well.

As for the person who made the allegations.  He must think I'm ignorant of Cockfighting.  My grandfather raised me on taking care of his Battle Cocks.  I know exactly how the cockers choose their breeders, especially the cocks. 

A few years ago, I tried my hand in raising Battle Cocks.  It is not easy.  I thought that if I can take advantage of the federal law, by becoming a breeder.  I would make some money.  The return on a proven Battle Cock is two years.  Unless you can have them proven as stags.  Unfortunately, the Cockers on Guam are smart.  They already have their proven lines.  So trying to get into the niche proved futile.

For those of  you who don't know about how breeders choose their line.  They use proven Champions as breeders.  In order to have a Champion, a Battle Cock has to fight.  The last time I checked.  Cockfighting in the USA is now illegal in all 50 states,  Except for the territories.

When I visit farmer/rancher sites on Multiply or other social networks.  I don't make allegations based on pictures.  I don't know the situation of the farmer/rancher.  I learned that encouraging others instead of pulling them down, helps them out more. 

I know for a fact breeders have to fight their Battle Cocks to insure their flock line.  It doesn't make sense to breed a dud rooster.  Only champion birds have that privilege.  Other birds that don't make it, make their way to the pot.  Breeders have to go underground to prove their birds or they go out of business.  Plain and Simple. 

For any Cocker to tell me that they only spar their birds to find a Champion.  YOU'RE Full of $#!%.


2 comments: